Friday, March 20, 2009

Ankle Update

I went to the Bone and Joint Clinic yesterday. Thank you Diann and Sue. Diann was my ride and they, along with my wonderful daughter Heather spent the day with me because I am going crazy on this couch. Heather came in the morning and did my nails, Diann came and kept us company and took me to the doctor and Sue joined us at the clinic. We went to lunch at the Chinese Restaurant and came home and talked until Lorin came home. If anything has been reinforced with this little mishap, its that I have absolutely the best friends and family I could ever ask for. Everyone has been calling, emailing, blogging, etc. and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Anyway, an update on the ankle. Yesterday, they took new X-rays and said everything is still in place, so far so good - no surgery. However, the breaks I have are a spiral break that starts in the front of the bone and spirals up and around back to the front. The second fracture is above that and is a "Y", and the third is the bottom piece of the bone is broken off. However, all is in place yet. But, because of the number and types of fractures, I have to wear this fun "boot" and use crutches for the next 6 weeks, then three weeks with just the boot, then a few weeks of physical therapy and Ace Bandages. He said I should be back to a normal shoe in about 12 weeks. YUCK!
I think I need my toenails painted. Aubree did them the last time and used almost every color in cabinet. What do you think? The doctor gave me the option of this boot, if I promised to listen to him, or a cast. He said if I had kids or big dogs it would be a no go, but I told him it was just Lorin and me so he let me go this route. I have to keep it on all the time, just like a cast, except I can take it off to shower and ice my leg. He also gave me some more of those wonderful pain pills. Thank goodness.

4 comments:

jules said...

That would freak me out. I would have to have a cast on there. I am getting the willies right now just thinking about taking that off to shower!!

Anonymous said...

Nice shoe mom. Is that from Macy's?? ;)

-Jenn

Connie said...

Julee I feel so bad for you. I had the same boot (in my case boots) when I had my feet surgery. They broke both of my feet, cut off the bones, then put them back together.... I feel your pain!! I wore out out couch in one spot for a couple of months but it was worth it. Hang in there and do everything the doctor says.... I didn't and I ended up having a 2nd surgery and wore out the couch for another month.

Anonymous said...

That doesn't look like much fun Julee. I hope it gets better soon! Hang in there!

-Manders