Thursday, October 8, 2009

We Got a Clydesdale!

For anyone who knows me, they know that as soon as fall is here, my fireplace is going. And, it is going all winter long. I love the feel of a wood fire in the fireplace, especially since I hate winter. My only solice is the fact that I can sit in front of the fireplace with my cup of coffee. That's the only thing that gets me through winter here. In our past homes, we had "efficient" fireplaces that produced heat. Since we have moved into this house, I still had the fireplace going all the time, but we didn't get a great deal of heat from it. We have been looking for a fireplace insert since we moved in here that would fill the hole. Our fireplace is huge and every insert we looked at had a tiny little glass door that would have looked silly in such a large opening/fireplace. This summer, Lorin said, "No matter what - we are getting an insert - NO MATTER WHAT!" I had to pick something. A few weeks ago we went fireplace shopping. Many were UGLY, many had little glass doors, many were inefficient. None were what I was looking for. We had our mason stop here three times trying to see if we could take our existing fireplace apart enough (it is a real stone fireplace) and add the unit we had in our last house. After much contemplation, he said we "might" be able to but no guarantees. When he starts to take it apart, it may come crashing down. So - I had to find an insert. Well this is what we came up with - and I am happy. I have only had it for 15 minutes - but I am happy.

I took a few pictures of the day. The first one is the empty fireplace. Lorin had it prepped so when the installers got here it was ready to go.

Here the installer is on the roof. I'm glad I didn't have to go up there. Anyone who knows our house, knows the roof is super steep. I think it is a 24/12 pitch. "A-frame".

Here they are installing the unit. Good thing my brother stopped to say Hi. He got out of his vehicle and I said "I am so glad to see you. You are just in time." That unit weighs 550 lbs. and I am so glad I didn't have to help lift it.


Here is the unit installed - It's called The Clydesdale because of its size, etc. It has a huge glass door, a 12 hour burn time and is supposed to heat up to 3,000 sf. Anyone want to come for coffee?

Phase 2 starts soon. New mortar, new hearth, new mantel..... Oh the living room remodeling has only just begun.

5 comments:

jules said...

I just poured a cup of coffee minutes ago. What time can I come over?

Deb said...

Holy horses that's a big one! (Get it, horses, clydesdale?) Never mind I'll be there for coffee.

Anonymous said...

Ooooooohhhhhh Mummy! It's so pretty!!! :) Can't wait to come home and sit in front of it! : )

Love you!
Jenn

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way over!
Wind chill was 18 an hour ago, so fire/coffee sound perfect.
Di

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way!!! I'll fill my cup before I leave home-- but I'll need a re-fill when I get there!!!
It's beautiful Julee-- maybe someday I really will see it in person!
Love you Tammi